This week’s news segment on last week’s news includes: Fernando Alonso, Sebastian Vettel and Ferrari and Haas F1.
1st November – Alonso still enjoying racing in F1
Fernando Alonso’s dream of an happy end to his F1 career is not going the way it should for the two time world champion. Having retired from the past 2 races in USA and in Mexico (though not his doing), the Spaniard still admits that he is still enjoying racing in the sport.
Speaking to the official Formula One website, Alonso said “I enjoy, definitely, I enjoy,” he said. “Obviously it has been unlucky, but as long as it’s not your mistake, where maybe you take more time to analyse and digest. So let’s see if the last two races, we can see the chequered flag and have a bit of luck.”
1st November – Vettel and Ferrari vow to fight on
2nd place at the Mexican GP wasn’t enough for Sebastian Vettel to keep his hopes of the championship alive but his team, Scuderia Ferrari, still have hope that they can secure their first championship in a decade. With a possible 86 points still to play for, Mercedes currently lead Ferrari by 55 heading to Brazil and the season finale in Abu Dhabi.
After the Mexican GP, Vettel told Sky Sports F1 that the Scuderia “will try to beat Mercedes in the Constructors’ Championship and knock them off their throne to give them a taste for next year.” Mercedes, however have the chance to win the championship for the 5th consecutive time – something not done since Ferrari’s dominance from 2000 to 2004.
4th November – Haas loss Italian GP appeal
After delivering a fine race to 6th place at the Italian GP, it would have been Romain Grosjean’s 4th top 10 finish of the year, if he had kept it. This result would have put Haas above rivals Renault but the French squad lodged a protest over the legality of the Haas car, which centred around the floor, and following an investigation, the stewards ruled the VF-18 did not conform to the rules.
Grosjean was disqualified from the race result but his American team submitted an appeal. This was heard by the FIA’s International Court of Appeal in Paris on Friday, after which it was revealed they upheld the stewards’ decision. Haas Team Principal Guenther Steiner in a statement: “[We are] obviously disappointed not to have won our appeal. This means that with 2 races to go, Haas remain 30 points behind Renault in the fight for 4th in the Constructors Championship.